Origin of the name of Pursell Avenue

Posted by
Donal Carr
Streets
Pursell Avenue
Time
1951—1960s

Pursell Avenue was named after the Pursell family who lived in a large house on the east side of the street overlooking Middle Harbour and The Spit.

The head of the household was Arch Pursell. I was friends with Robert Pursell (decd) and his older brother Francis from the early 1950’s. There were other older siblings.

Donal Carr · 26 January 2012

Your comment

I grew up with Robert & Francis Pursell. The Pursell family went to Mosman Methodist Church on Myahgah Rd (as did I). We were all members of the Youth Group at the church during the 1950’s until at least 1958 when I moved to Brisbane.

One of my best memories is of the cars Robert & Francis drove at that time; a Humber Super Snipe and a Humber Hawk. I think the Super Snipe was a convertible and we all used to pile into it after church on Sunday and head to the beach.

Their older brother was Stirling Pursell who died quite young and there was also an older sister, I seem to recall.

— Rosemary Jones · 27 January 2012, 11:37 · #

R. J. Not much wrong with your memory is there. The Super Snipe was a ‘two door drophead coupe’ . We did not have a Hawk however my uncle had one. I am pleased that you retain good memories of that time. My sister Robin was 14 years older than yours truly and there was an older brother Bryan who met an accidental death when I was about 7.

My memory is not as sharp as yours as I do not recall your name unless it was R.T. then of course I remember and suspect that I still owe you a cup of coffee! If you are R.T. then my wife Barbara, who also grew up in Mosman and attended the same church remembers you also.

Incidentally the family home still stands much as it was and recently changed hands for only the second time since Dad died.

— Francis Pursell · 5 March 2012, 15:33 · #

Hi Francis

I am a distant cousin (2nd cousin once removed). I thought you might like to know about an ancestor of yours (and mine), William Oxley. You can see info about him at the web page: www.wikitree.com/wiki/Oxley-34

He was a police officer who died as a result of an assault during his duties and there is going to be a memorial service held by Mudgee police on Saturday 29 Sept in the morning, followed by a family reunion for William descendants. You can contact me through the private messaging system at Wikitree or email me directly

Paul Bech · 15 June 2012, 14:39 · #

Hi Francis
I guess you may not remember me I lived in the house next to yours on the high side of Pursell Avenue. My name was Dianne Hobson and I remember my friend Robyn Hoskins and I went for a ride with your dad in the Humber into the city. I think that Mr Hoskins used to work for your Dad. I also remember that we used to talk to the gardener “Jack” on many occasions.

— Dianne Grey · 17 October 2014, 16:39 · #

Hi Francis,
I stumbled across this website because I am scanning old slides from the 50s and 60s, and wanted to see what changes had since occurred in Mosman. I spent two wonderful years (1959-60) in Mosman, as a student at ASOPA. I attended the Mosman Methodist Church and even sang in the choir, as did you and Robert, and possibly your friend Cliff Gentle. You were very generous in showing me the parts of Sydney you loved. I found I have a slide of the Spit Bridge taken from your garden in Pursell Avenue, and several photos of the young people then attending the church.
I subsequently worked in PNG for 13 years, married and had two children and have lived in Melbourne since 1974.

— Robin Pope · 9 November 2016, 17:13 · #

I found this website today. We bought this house from the Pursell family in 1965 and still live here. We had 5 children here and our eldest son died in an accident—-similar to the death of one of the Pursells in the “Robin May”. My wife found this place when we returned from Oxford and we have enjoyed it very much. She died here in 1997. My second wife and myself share this home now. Did Arch Pursell build this house or only add to it?

— James Biggs · 1 March 2017, 16:45 · #

Francis,I came across this link by accident. We bought this house from the Pursell family in 1965. It has been a great family home for our 5 children who grew up here and it is in a wonderful spot overlooking the Spit. Some time ago I was researching the area at the library and got some information about the Pursells, but was unable to find out if Arch Pursell built this house.There had been some additions before we purchased and we did some renovations when we first moved in.We have considered downsizing ,but it is hard to leave because of all the memories we have here.

— James Biggs AM · 3 March 2017, 13:19 · #

Sadly, we decided to sell and downsize to an apartment in Cremorne with a similar view over Middle Harbour. I do not know whether the new owner will develop the site which remains one of the best in Mosman.So many great memories over 52 years —never to be forgotten!!

— James Biggs · 4 October 2017, 13:12 · #